Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 10 pm / Today’s news / Follow-up
International striker Karim Benzema will not be excluded from the French national team even if a ruling is issued condemning him in the case of the sex tape, according to what Noel Le Graet, president of the local football association, announced.
In an interview published Wednesday in the daily “Le Parisien”, Le Graet said that any decision about the players called up to the national team is up to coach Didier Deschamps alone.
Benzema was excluded from the “roosters” for nearly five years before being summoned last May after he was accused of involvement in an attempt to blackmail his former colleague Matteo Valbuena with a sex tape.
The judgment will be issued in this case on the twenty-fourth of this month.
Le Graet said in this regard, “The coach will be the only person who chooses the players and Benzema will not be excluded in the event of a judgment condemning him (…) It is up to Didier to make decisions related to the sport.”
Benzema is expected to participate with his country against Kazakhstan in Paris on Saturday in the European qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
Last month, the Versailles public prosecutor requested a 10-month suspended prison sentence against Benzema, while his lawyers considered that the prosecution had failed to provide evidence to convict the star of complicity in extortion.